Saturday, September 20, 2008

A word, if you please...

I'm not pretending that these are professional quality images. I'm limited to the equipment that I can hand carry. And quickly. Often I have to compose a shot on the run, trying to keep up with the tour group and with Grandma at the same time. The press of people in Italian cities is incomprehensible. And now I have to do all of this one handed and under an umbrella!

Additionally: many locations prohibit photography, and I am loath to use flash in the Cathedrals.

I shoot what catches my eye. Buildings, architectural accents, street scenes, landscape. Whatever. But I rarely photograph from a moving vehicle or through a tinted or curved window (results almost always bad). So much of Italy's beautiful countryside could not captured as we whizzed through.

Only one hotel in three has had working internet access, so I am behind in my posting.

Next trip I will be prepared with tripods, vibration reducing lenses, perspective correcting lenses and studio flash set-ups. And two assistants: one to carry the equipment, and one to phone in threats to evacuate the cities.

But for now, if any image is poorly composed, improperly exposed, or in any other way substandard... well, call it Art Photography. Deal with it!!!

Thanks,


g